Friday, September 18, 2009
A Wishlist of Impossibilities
The things that I wish that I had brought to the Dominican Republic with me.
1. A fly swatter
- Simply because there is no end to the flies. They are like an ever-present black cloud that hangs over and on your food.
2. Colorful bead bracelets
- Gift giving is all the rage here and a bracelet brought from the States and given by an Americana would be like gold.
3. Peliculas (aka Movies)
- My Dominican Republic family watches a lot of television and would probably love to see my movies (Peliculas). Also, it would be nice to have an American moment movie.
4. Cute Clothing
- Everyone dresses nice and there I am in my cut-offs and t-shirt. Awesome.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
- So the water has bacteria in it so I try to clean my “boo boo” with soap and water and it gets mildly infected. Good, right?
6. Aloe Vera
- No one gets burnt here. Only the gringos. Another ‘awesome’ moment.
7. My own Personal Translator
- Oh, wait. That defeats the purpose of trying to learn another language.
8. Hot Water
- Bucket baths with cold water gets old quickly.
9. Thousands of Chicken Muzzles
- Every try to sleep while the confused chickens ‘cockle doodle doodle’ at random points throughout the night. I’m pretty sure that the Dominican Republic is populated by a very confused bunch of chickens.
10. An extendable arm w/ boxing glove
- For all those men who drive by and slow down to stare longer. For all those men that find wicked joy in driving their motorcycle as close to a walking girl as possible and then continuing to drive by while watching you over their shoulder.