Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

July 22 2009
Dear friend,

I found a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. In a way, it was suggested to me by a friend without the friend even realizing it. I don’t think I would normally read this type of book because it’s just not my type. I have to admit that it caught my attention, though.

Incidentally, I got the book from the library. I started it yesterday and finished it today. It was a journey. I felt as though I truly became the character and experienced everything he went through. The story was not quite sad, but very thoughtful. I always knew that I was a wallflower. After reading this, I know it to be true. Yet, at points during the book, I desperately wanted to stop reading. A lot of books sugar coat things. This one doesn’t. It faces the world head on. Actually, I entertained the thought of returning this book to the library more than once. I’d set it down with that intention and go do homework or watch TV with my siblings. Then, I would get bored and glue myself to facebook for a bit. I’d try to read the book again. Then, I would go watch TV and then go on facebook. Finally, I just read the book until I finished it. I don’t have a teacher like Bill to write an essay for about the perks of being a wallflower.

I listened to this one song called “Asleep” by the Smiths. I liked it a lot. It’s important that you listen to this song, too. The boy, Charlie, in The Perks of Being a Wallflower loved this song very much. It makes sense that he would. When I read about the song, I wanted to listen to it. I am listening to it now through the speakers on my computer as it plays from youtube. I think this is Charlie’s theme song. It sounds like him.

When I go places like the mall and have to wait around for my mother or somebody to finish their shopping, I like to watch people. I wonder what they are buying and whom they are thinking. Once I saw a mother and her teenage children at the bookstore, they were talking with their hands. The mom was deaf. I wondered how the kids felt about having a deaf parent. The boy goofed around in a very sly way. The older sister was very pretty and down to business. I wondered if the mother was born that way or if she had some accident when she was little. It’s interesting to see what types of people read different types of books. Most times, people fit their stereotype. Sometimes though, a normal looking girl will read a book about drainpipes. Why would she read something like that? She must be trying to fix something or perhaps she trying to impress someone. Or maybe she is just interested in the workings of drainpipes.

After reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I immediately stood up and came to write this letter to you. That book created such a fog in my head. My brain hurts now. It had to try to connect all the dots that Charlie left out. Incidentally, Charlie has dealt with a lot of real things that get swept under the rug in society. That is why my head is still spinning. I felt like I was trapped in an account that gave only the facts and like a bad dream I was incapable of doing anything except watch. That’s it exactly. No wonder Charlie likes the song “Asleep.”

Love always,
Jane