Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

books and life and how they connect

There are many things in this world that I just don't understand.
homework at 2 in the morning
boys
girls
the power of a smile

However, one thing that confuses me enough to equate a small blogpost is the following. Have you ever heard of those people who read the end of the book before the beginning? Why would anyone do that? I never understand why people choose to skip to the end of the book. I, myself, would lose any interest in reading the book if I already know the ending of the story.

Why does a person read a book? Well, ultimately, to get to the end of the book - sure. Yet, I think that books are enjoyable for the journey that the reader joins the protagonist on. The end has no meaning unless you have traveled the length of the book with the main character.

These are the musings of my mind that are bouncing around in my head. I read books because I enjoy the length of them and I often dislike coming to the end of the story because it means the end of that particular journey.

I think all these thoughts apply to life. If my life is a book and I'm striving towards the end, that means I am on a journey now. The journey is just as or more important than the ending of this book.

All these thoughts have stemmed from this lovely thing at my college entitled Spiritual Emphasis week. Remember that organization that I spent some of my summer with? Well, they're here at my college for this week and I'm loving it.

So, anyone want to share a favorite book or a particular journey in their lives that was memorable?